November 28, 2020

Stubton Hall – original Grade II listing

STUBTON HALL – Source Website – Click here:

Click to contribute.

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building
Grade: II
List Entry Number: 1146985
Date first listed: 19-Feb-1952
Statutory Address: STUBTON HALL, FENTON ROAD

Location

Statutory Address: STUBTON HALL, FENTON ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: Lincolnshire
District: South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish: Stubton
National Grid Reference: SK 87554 49003

Details

SK 84 NE STUBTON FENTON ROAD (east side)

3/86 Stubton Hall

19.2.52 II

Large country house, now school. 1813-14 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville, C18. Gault brick range with ashlar dressings and shallow hipped concrete tile roof with parapet and 4 ridge stacks. Attached to north-west, a small gault brick house with concrete tile roof and single ridge stack.

Attached to north-west of latter, late C18 red brick service wing with earlier red brick service wing set back but attached to north-west. Both have shallow hipped concrete tile roofs and various stacks, the earlier C18 wing with leaded octagonal cupola.

Main range, north west front of 2 storeys, 5 bays with slightly projecting central 3 bays. Plain stone plinth, ashlar first floor band and moulded eaves. 3 shallow steps lead up to central doorway with plain C19 doorcase with brackets and 3/4 glazed C19 doors.

Flanked by 2 windows with 5 smaller first floor windows, all with glazing bar sashes. Large central early C19 Tuscan portico, 3 columns deep with wall pilasters, thought to come from Beckingham Hall. 2 storey 3 bay east return, with projecting ground floor central bay with blocked window and small pediment. First floor band and parapet. Central bay flanked by long windows with 3 smaller windows above, all with glazing bar sashes. 2 storey, 5 bay south-west front, the central 3 bays projecting in shallow ball. Ashlar plinth, first floor band and parapet.

Central ground floor bay has C17 ashlar semi-circle of Tuscan columns which are paired against the wall, thought to come from Fenton Hall or Beckingham Hall. Central bow has 3 long glazing bar sashes flanked by single tripartite windows under segmental heads. Above are 5 small glazing bar sashes. Plaque attached to south front inscribed “This house was erected by Robert and Amelia Heron in the years 1813 and 1814. “Jeffery Wyatt, Architect.”

Listing NGR: SK8755449003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 193975
Legacy System: LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Twitter