Find more about St Martins Church services by clicking here.
John DM Rose
Address: Menteith, Stubton NG23 5BY
Tel: 01636 626361
Address: The Garth, Doddington Road, Stubton NG23 5BX
Tel: 01636 626028
The parish church Grade II* listed, is dedicated to St Martin and when built in 1799 consisted of a nave, pinnacled tower and vestry, located on a site commonly known as Bemrose Croft. The Bishop of Lincoln consecrated the church in June 1800. The chancel was added in1869 as a memorial to the late rector, Rev. W. S. Hampson. Although the present church is relatively modern, the Domesday Survey mentions a priest and church in 1086 and the original medieval church and churchyard occupied a site immediately opposite the present front of Stubton Hall. The only vestiges remaining, are the two bells installed in the tower of the present church and a memorial stone dated 1530 let into the wall of the vestry.
The present church underwent considerable renovation of the tower roof and internal structures in 2010. New lighting and heating were installed in the following year. Theft of the lead from the vestry roof occurring in 2011, this was repaired and reinstated in 2013.
The conspicuous broken column resting upon a mound in Bemrose Croft to the northeast corner of the church, marks the grave of Sir Robert Heron. (The broken column signifies that he was last in the line). This, and a number of buildings in Stubton, is listed under the Planning Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas Act 1990 of special architectural or historic interest.
Source: Neighbourhood Development Plan