Stubton Hall – original Grade II listing

STUBTON HALL – Source Website – Click here:

Click to contribute.

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building
Grade: II
List Entry Number: 1146985
Date first listed: 19-Feb-1952
Statutory Address: STUBTON HALL, FENTON ROAD

Location

Statutory Address: STUBTON HALL, FENTON ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: Lincolnshire
District: South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish: Stubton
National Grid Reference: SK 87554 49003

Details

SK 84 NE STUBTON FENTON ROAD (east side)

3/86 Stubton Hall

19.2.52 II

Large country house, now school. 1813-14 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville, C18. Gault brick range with ashlar dressings and shallow hipped concrete tile roof with parapet and 4 ridge stacks. Attached to north-west, a small gault brick house with concrete tile roof and single ridge stack.

Attached to north-west of latter, late C18 red brick service wing with earlier red brick service wing set back but attached to north-west. Both have shallow hipped concrete tile roofs and various stacks, the earlier C18 wing with leaded octagonal cupola.

Main range, north west front of 2 storeys, 5 bays with slightly projecting central 3 bays. Plain stone plinth, ashlar first floor band and moulded eaves. 3 shallow steps lead up to central doorway with plain C19 doorcase with brackets and 3/4 glazed C19 doors.

Flanked by 2 windows with 5 smaller first floor windows, all with glazing bar sashes. Large central early C19 Tuscan portico, 3 columns deep with wall pilasters, thought to come from Beckingham Hall. 2 storey 3 bay east return, with projecting ground floor central bay with blocked window and small pediment. First floor band and parapet. Central bay flanked by long windows with 3 smaller windows above, all with glazing bar sashes. 2 storey, 5 bay south-west front, the central 3 bays projecting in shallow ball. Ashlar plinth, first floor band and parapet.

Central ground floor bay has C17 ashlar semi-circle of Tuscan columns which are paired against the wall, thought to come from Fenton Hall or Beckingham Hall. Central bow has 3 long glazing bar sashes flanked by single tripartite windows under segmental heads. Above are 5 small glazing bar sashes. Plaque attached to south front inscribed “This house was erected by Robert and Amelia Heron in the years 1813 and 1814. “Jeffery Wyatt, Architect.”

Listing NGR: SK8755449003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 193975
Legacy System: LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Stubton Hall – original Grade II listing